Friday 4 November 2011

Oh My Goodness...

I've gotten an internship!

I had an interview with WhatsOn for an editorial internship last week, but didn't want to blog about it because I didn't want to jinx it. Well, I thought things had gotten jinxed without any help from me anyway- for the past week I've been a nervous wreck, waiting to hear back from them, and it got to the point where  I was starting to think I'd been unsuccessful. That waiting period is the worst bit, isn't it? I came out of the interview feeling really confident and oh so excited. But then of course, fast forward a week, and I'd manage to convince myself that I was rubbish and no one would hire me, ever. Even getting another interview for an editorial company in London didn't really bolster my spirits as much as it should have (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a spoilt brat) but now it finally feels like I've got this 'life' thing under control. Well, sort of.
I'm stupidly lucky- it can take people months and months of endless applying and interviewing and waiting and waiting to get an opportunity like this, and, I've managed to land this one relatively quickly, when I come to think of it. It doesn't start until January, which means even more waiting, but in the mean time I'm going to try and use the time wisely and try to get a couple more writing gigs under my belt and possibly get a Christmas job some where, because of course, internships are very very rarely paid, and this one is no exception. I worked all through my MA, and I've got a bit put away, but my savings won't last that long. I saw something very interesting on the Channel Four news last night, about unpaid interns potentially getting exploited, but it pretty much is the only way to get your foot in the door if you're as hopelessly unconnected as I am, and considering how much practical experience I'll be able to take from it, I really think it'll be a step in the right direction. At the very least, it's a tick on my to do list. Get an internship- check.
Right, what's next?

P.S I had a lovely comment from a follower today who was very nice and very supportive. Thanks very much; it made my morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment