Tuesday 23 August 2011

One small step...

Today I finished my MA dissertation. I've spent all summer locked away with only Shakespeare, Queen Elizabeth I and a pile of books that threatened to crush me if I so much as breathed on them for company. This last week has been a tough one, and I struggled a lot to get coherent words onto the page (come on, who actually likes Henry V? To say he goes to war and wins the French crown he actually does very little...) but enough of that. He is behind me. I am FREE.

Until tomorrow.

Tomorrow I go back to the start and re-read, edit and re-write the whole thing. I do that for two weeks and then, THEN I'm free. But free to do what, exactly? No, that's not a rhetorical question; please, someone tell me what I'm supposed to do next.

Apparently this is all worth it, and my MA (if I pass- wish me luck!) will stand me in very good stead for the future.

Hmm. Right, ok- please tell me again which jobs require an in depth knowledge of a spoilt old Queen and some plays that might have been written about her, but then again may very well not be about her at all- after all, we can't ask...
Shakespeare's dead!
Sometimes I wonder if this year has been worth it. I got a fairly good degree. I could be working in a call centre right now, like so many other graduates; ok, so it's not glamorous, but I bet they've got a fair bit of money stashed away and go out on weekends. If it wasn't for Rebecca Black, I wouldn't know what weekends were.
And the trouble is, now that I've (almost) got an MA, I don't really want to go find some menial, boring job; I actually want to know that these last four years have been worth it and that someone in the media or publishing industry will hire me. Please, for the love of God, SOMEONE HIRE ME!!
I'm sorry, that's just pre-submitting stress getting the better of me (I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to my boyfriend, but I'd also like to say see, I don't just take it out on you) I need to keep calm and remind myself that in two weeks, it'll all be over and I can get on finding one of those illusive things known as a life.
But why did I do an MA? I'm crazy. And I'm a sucker for Shakespeare. (I take back what I said, Mr S, about Henry V. He's cool, honest)

No comments:

Post a Comment