Monday 9 January 2012

A glimpse into the life of an Intern

And I'm shattered. Not so much because I had to work hard (more on that later) but more because of the fact that I only got about 4 hours sleep. Now, I know what you're thinking- that I couldn't sleep for worrying-but that really isn't the case. I couldn't sleep because my brain decided it would be much better for me to ponder stupidly mundane questions all night, and no matter how I tried, I just couldn't switch off. But I knew this was going to happen-for some (probably psychological) reason this always happens if I have to get up early for an exam, or work, or something. Ever do that thing where your lying there going "if I go to sleep now, I'll have six hours of sleep...if I go to sleep now, I'll have five hours of sleep"? Yeah, that was me. All night long.
So, fast foward to this morning, and I'm tired, grumpy, late, and really not in the mood to be a bright and eager intern. BUT I dragged my bum out of bed, and into.... the office. Dun Dun Duuuuun.
Actually, it wasn't like that at all. Everyone there seemed lovely- lots of hello's, and how do you do's- and I felt at ease right away. That was, of course, until I met the other intern. The other Intern's name is also Laura. The other Laura looked far more glamourous than I ever could at at 9.30 in the morning. The other Laura has a seemingly endless list of contacts and knows Pixie Lott's boyfriend. The other Laura attended the training day they didn't tell me about, so the other Laura was able to get to work straight away. The other Laura was not sat at the broken computer, which turned itself off every five minutes and refused to connect to the internet. And the other Laura has beautiful hair. Luckily for me, she is also really, really nice, but I couldn't help feel a niggle of despair when I realised that she is my direct competition should we both go for the paid position when our internships are over....
But anyway. I shall try to stop stressing about the other Laura's hair (seriously. It's gorgeous.) and mention the fact that I may have one of the best internships ever, in terms of hands on experience. There are only three of us in the 'editorial department'; two interns and a boy who finished his internship last month but is still coming into the office, presumably because he doesn't want us newbies to mess up all his hard work. (Which, by the way, is totally fine with me because he really helped me out today) The three of us are expected to create an entire edition of WhatsOn by ourselves, which is an awful lot of responsibility. I have already been set to work writing three articles, due on friday. Best get cracking then!

1 comment:

  1. New starts are always scary but I'm sure you'll be great! Do your best that's all you can give. all the best!

    ReplyDelete