Monday 29 August 2011

Smile for the camera, baby.

It's been a busy few days. Unfortunately, not because I've tying up all the little loose ends in my dissertation (alarmingly, there's more than I thought...) or because I've been organised and packing up. Nope, I've been busy because I've been in front of a camera.
By some stroke of luck, I landed a job as an extra on a new show for S4C (Wales' answer to channel 4) Don't ask me what it's about, because I don't speak Welsh- to my embarrassment I was picked to be in a scene and had to stand there, like an idiot, while the actors giggled and joked around me and I couldn't understand a single thing that they were saying. Of course, I wasn't supposed to stand there like an idiot, I was supposed to join in and laugh and smile, but as I kept telling them, it's kind of hard when you can't understand the punchlines. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut that scene from the show entirely. Either that, or I'll be credited as 'idiot girl'. But they paid me! (...probably because they felt sorry for me)
And then yesterday I helped out a local photographer, as he wanted some shots for his portfolio. In one afternoon I got to be a 1920's socialite, a 50's housewife, a snobby 40's debutante, a poor 40's lass knocked up by a solider, a Victorian beggar, and a Victorian beggar knocked up by...well, who knows. But the upshot is he paid me too, so maybe I shall forget about getting a respectable job in an office somewhere and just pout/look idiotic for a living.
Hmm. Or maybe not.
I think I may have managed to get my hands on a couple of writing gigs though, for magazines and websites and whatnot, so whilst it's still not quite the publishing side of things, it's still one step closer.
Things are getting a better. Now, if everyone could just avoid watching S4C for the next six months, I'll be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment