Tuesday 6 September 2011

The job hunt begins. In ernest.

That's it. I can no longer use the "but I'm a student" excuse (see: 'reasons why I've not got a job', 'reasons why I've not finished an essay', and 'reasons why I'm still in my pyjamas at 4pm, watching My Little Pony and eating Pop Tarts for dinner'.)
Last Thursday, I kissed Aber goodbye, and my life as a student is officially over. I am now a bona fide grown up. Or at least, a grown up in training. In my mind, being a grown up means giving fancy but intimate dinner parties, hanging out in wine bars and shopping at Waitrose. It also means having a flat, a good, stable job and a 'partner'; not just a boyfriend or, you know, a boy-you-kinda-like-and-maybe-slept-with-once-but-that's-all-honest.
To get the flat (already mentally decked out in Kath Kidston with wooden floors and a balcony) in which to make dinner brought from Waitrose for your friends that you meet in the wine bar, you have to have the job (Incidentally, I've never introduced my boyfriend as my partner; that's just too grown up for me to handle right now) so that's what I'm working on first. Or at least, what I was working on. Job applications are tough. Seriously, headache inducing-ly tough. I've got a half completed application on my desk; I got so far and had to go take a lie down in a darkened room. They ask for a whole lot of info, don't they?! And what exactly are you supposed to put when they ask you how much money you want to earn? Is there a correct answer? Am I allowed to guess?! For those of you that are interested, this one is for BBC youth and childen's magazines. I found it on a whim, and whilst I think I'd be pretty good at it, I don't meet ALL the requirments so I'm not holding my breath. Which begs the question, why apply in the first place? For one, I'm keen to get started on this life thing. Secondly, the more jobs I apply for, the more likely it is I'll get one. And thirdly? I'm a sucker for punishment.


Jobs applied for so far: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment